Saturday, September 1, 2007

Wouldn't change this for the world...

Within a week of moving back home, I was sent on my first mission. Acquire ‘The Boys’ (My uncle Darien’s sons) from Nana’s, get them clothes from their house, and bring them back to my house, where they would be staying for the weekend. The kids’ parents had just made a decision to separate, and our normally bright, happy boys were quiet now when they talked, and they stared at the floor. Instead of fighting on the way out to the car, the quietly filed in and sat in the backseat. This was nothing like how they normally are. What could I do to make it better?I could speed, that’s what I could do. Going through the neighborhood to get to my uncle’s house, I hit every speed bump at about 30-35 mph. The first bump, they giggled. I rolled down the windows, cranked up the music, and yelled for them to hold on. The second bump, they began to laugh, as “Party Like a Rock Star” blared. By the time we got to the house, they were screaming with laughter as they tumbled out of the car.That’s when I knew that uprooting and coming back here was worth it. I also knew it was worth it when I was right here to help my 15-year old cousin with her speech for Student Council. When I was here for my uncle’s birthday last night. It’s worth it when Branden looks up at me, and with his little stutter says, “You know, you’re kind of a cool cousin”. When Payton runs out of the house and hugs me when I pick her up for our ‘girl’s day’ to see a movie and get lunch. When I stop at Sonic to get all of us limeades as the youngest boy reads to me from a story book in the backseat.I left behind in-state tuition, a boyfriend, good friends, and a good job for this. I don’t think I would ever change my mind and leave here to get that all back. I am most definitely here to stay.